Potato waffles are common in the UK and Ireland. However, they are also available in other part of the world. They are spicy foods made from potatoes and are shaped like a lattice. Potatoes waffles are made using potato, seasoning and oil. They usually come out crispy on the outer layer and downy on the inside. The country of potato waffle’s origin is the United Kingdom and it is a meal most preferred for breakfast since time in memorial. However, potato waffles can also be used as a side dish often going well together with bacon as well as sausages.
Preparing Potato Waffles
Potato waffles is a great meal which can be served with any of your favorite brunch foods e.g. boiled eggs or steamed asparagus. Below are simple steps to help you make sumptuous potato waffles; or you can visit justataste.com article that shows another recipe to cook potato waffles. And here’s another by foodnetwork.com using sweet potato.
What you need/Ingredients
- 2 cups of all purpose flour.
- 1 table spoon baking soda.
- 1 table spoon baking powder.
- 1 tea spoon of sugar.
- 2 cups non fat buttermilk.
- Three large eggs, which should be put separate.
- 8 table spoons of unsalted butter which should be melted.
- 2 medium size Yukon gold potatoes.
- 1 1/2 tea spoon rough salt.
How To Prepare/Directions
- First of all peel your potatoes and cut them into small cubes. Put them in a saucepan of cold water with salt. Put to fire and let it boil, then simmer for about 8 minutes until the potatoes become soft and tender. Drain off water and set aside the potatoes in a bowl and let them cool. After cooling, now mash the potatoes into rough pieces using a fork.
- Now, you can pre heat a waffle iron. Sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt into a large bowl and set aside separately.
- Take a medium size bowl in which you will whisk together buttermilk, butter and egg yolks. Pour the mixture into your dry ingredients and stir for just a short while until they combine and then put in the potatoes.
- In another bowl that you would have set aside, beat egg whites with a mixer until it becomes stiff but not dry and then fold into batter.
- Scoop about 1/3 cup batter into parts of the waffle grid, spread the batter further to the edges, close the door and bake until no steam is seen coming from the waffle iron, this should take about a minimum of 5 to 6 minutes.
- Now move the waffle to a baking sheet and place it in the oven under low heat, preferably 200 degrees.
- Use the remaining batter and serve while warm.
This meal can serve six people. The potato waffles should be stored in a freezer at 18 degrees C or even cooler than that.
One can also easily make potato waffles using waffle makers which have now come to be more of a multipurpose kitchen appliance. Best waffle makers are not meant for waffle only but with a bountiful amount of cooking spray, one can make basically anything using a waffle maker such as; waffle crust pizza, waffle maker bacon, waffled leftover pizza and chocolate chip cookie waffles.