Apparently, most food-service waffle mixes, i.e. those served in hotels and restaurants, are sweetened with malt instead of sugar. For this reason, you should try to make malted waffles at home, to get that “typical” diner taste. As the name suggests, malted waffles happen to be tender waffles packed with a malted flavor. This flavor comes from malted milk powder, which is the primary ingredient used to make these waffles.
Old-school malt ball confections and soda fountains used to contain malt milk powder. Maybe it makes you feel nostalgic, or maybe it makes you think about a cookie you had recently from a nearby bakery, because the use of malted milk powder is more widespread than you may realize. This ingredient is added to everything from cakes to cookies to pancake and waffle mixes, and you should actually be thankful about that.
Malted milk powder is basically an evaporated powder prepared using malted barley, wheat flour, as well as whole milk. Even though it was once an infant nutritional supplement, the almost toasty, rich flavor that is imparted by it that bakers have grown fond of using it in confections like malted waffles. You should be able to readily find it any of your local grocery stores, and you will find it quite marvelous to experiment with as you make malted waffles.
Here are some recipes you may try:
How To Make Belgian Malted Waffles?
— All-purpose flour – 2 cups
— Baking powder – 1 tablespoon
— Milk – 1 and 3/4 cup
— Separated eggs – 4
— Salt – 1/2 tablespoon
— Sugar – 1 tablespoon
— Vanilla – 2 tablespoon
— Vanilla malted milk powder – 2 tablespoons
— Vegetable oil – 1/2 cup
1. A greased Belgian waffle iron should be preheated.
2. Baking powder, flour, malted milk powder, salt, and sugar should be combined together.
3. In a separate bowl, the egg yolks should be beat until they are lemon colored and thick. Vanilla, milk and vegetable oil should be added to the egg yolks, and the ingredients should be stirred, without overbeating them.
4. The egg whites should be beat until peaks have formed, making sure they are not to dry.
5. The ingredients should be gently folded into batter and baked using the instructions of the Belgian waffle iron.
How To Make Malted Milk Waffles?
You can make up to 6 servings with this recipe.
— Buttermilk – 1 and 1/3 cups
— Buttermilk pancake mix – 2 and a 1/2 cups
— Malted milk powder – 1/3 cup
— Melted butter – 1/2 cup
— Separated eggs – 2
— White sugar – 2 tablespoons
1. The buttermilk pancake mix, malted milk powder and white sugar should be stirred together in a large bowl. The egg whites should be beat in a separate bowl and should be set aside after stiff peaks have formed.
2. The butter, butter milk and egg yolks should be added to dry ingredients and should be mixed well. The ingredients should be folded into batter in egg whites.
3. A non-stick cooking spray should be sprayed onto a preheated waffle iron. The batter should be poured onto the hot waffle iron and it should be cooked until it turns golden brown, after which the malted waffle can be served warm.
As promised, your malted waffle is sure to have that “diner” flavor, and you will likely become obsessed with these waffles if you have never tired them before. Find best waffle iron reviews here!